 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5454
Re: Wheels with/without metal axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:43:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
I have measured several of these metal axles with a caliper from different
kinds of wheels (studded train wheel with traction teeth, studded train wheel
conical hub, spoked train wheel conical hub, spoked train wheel straight hub,
studded wheel for rubber tyre (tyre 132-old), spoked wheel for rubber tyre
(tyre 132-old), large studded wheel for rubber tyre (tyre 36) and large spoked
wheel for rubber tyre (tyre 36).
All axles have a 3 mm diameter. With 1 LDU = 0.4 mm this makes the radius 7.5
LDU.

Thanks for doing this, Niels.

Is changing the diameter of these axles from 8 to 7.5 really worth it?  They
still won't fit in most axleholes, because LDraw's axles don't fit the actual
geometry of technic axleholes.  However, I am *not* suggesting that we change
the axlehole primitives or parts.  I suspect that would result in the details
being harder to make out on those small technic bits.

If someone wants to compile a list of the files that need to be modified for
this new radius, I'm ok with this change.

Steve