 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5450
Re: Wheels with/without metal axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:44:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
I have created several wheels that fit a metal axle:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x242.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x243.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x244.dat
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x245.dat
and x447 for the 4 studded train wheel with traction teeth (not on the Parts
Tracker, yet)

I created at least two versions of each: without the metal axle and with the
metal axle (complete). Some parts (at least x245, but I found one of the
others, too) existed with different types of axles (for better grip on the
early motors). But also the color (material) of the axles varied (brass and
another metal). Part x243.dat is even used in two trainbases (x270c01,
x270c02, 736c01 and 736c02)

I based the origin of these parts on the existing part 7039.dat.

Consistency with existing parts is good.

For part x242.dat on the parts tracker I got a comment to change the origin
-10 along the z axis.  What is the use of this, as the axleless parts are
only be used when the user wants another colored axle (an advantage of ldraw)
and uses seperate wheel and and axle. I prefer to have the wheel without axle
and the wheel with axle at the same origin.

Sorry, my reviewing wasn't very complete.  I should have asked for a
repositioning of all of these files, so that the inside surface of the plastic
wheel would be at the origin.  This is an obvious/natural position.  The current
position (and the position of 7039) *looks* like a randomly chosen point, when
looking at the individual wheels.

Also, when you disagree with a hold, you should generally email the reviewer
directly -- I don't typically keep track of what reviews I've posted to which
files.  So until today, when your lugnet post prompted me to read through the
reviews, I had no idea you had disputed my review.

Mayby the axleless parts should have the title starting with a tilde (~).

Yes, they should.

Steve