 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5449
Re: Wheels with/without metal axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:32:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
Okay, I know it's a bad thing to reply to your own posts, but as I haven't
got any answer and I do want this issue solved, I found it okay to kick this
up again. Please read the first post in this topic.

Sorry about the lack of reply.  I don't have most of these older wheels, so I'm
not familiar enough with them to really comment on physical aspects.  I can only
answer from the POV of a parts librarian.

One more thing why I prefer to have the axleless parts at the same origin as
the complete with axle parts is when a builder wants to use a wheel with a
different colored axle. The builder can replace the wheel with axle with the
corresponding axleless version (and adding the axle manually) without having
to reposition the wheel.

That's understandable.  And I agree that it's generally better to keep the same
origin for master part files and their component files.

I think it'd be awesome if modeling software offered an inliner function, so
model-builders could easily replace cXX parts with their subpart components. :)

Secondly, should the titles be changed to match those used by Peeron? (Or the
other way round).

When the files are officially released, Peeron will update their part names to
match LDraw.

Personally I prefer the train wheels to start with Train
Wheel in the title.

I don't really agree with that.  These wheels work with the same 2x4 wheel
holder as non-train wheels.  So they should be grouped together.  However, the
train wheels should have Train in their KEYWORDS list.

The axleless versions should have a ~ prefix so these
won't show up between regular parts.

Yes, definitely.  Since these parts don't come apart (without damage), the
component files should be mark with a tilde (~).

I also found some duplicates on the parts tracker:
x454 vs x244

Hmm.  Which of these files is more prototypical?

x568s01 vs x244
x568s03 vs 35b

Hmm.  It looks like x568s01 and x568s03 will need to be deleted.  If there is an
error in a file, we need to correct the error, not duplicate the file.

Steve