 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 295
Re: Part number needed & New primitive submission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:06:43 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:20:11 GMT, "Adam Howard" <abhoward10@hotmail.com>
wrote:

The new primitive seems ok, too. Very unusual that it starts from the • center and
goes from -0.5 to 0.5 in all directions. I don't know if I like it, but I • can
surely live with it.

I think the box should conform to the same geometry as the other box*
primitives -- it should range from -1 to +1, not -.5 to +.5.

The way this primitive is designed saves time for the part author (not a
whole lot, but some).  Once you have the dimensions you want you just plug
those in directly without having to divide them by two.  When you use a
primitive that goes from -1 to +1 you actually have a 2LD unit primitive,
but when you use a primitive that goes from -.5 to .5 you have a 1LD unit
primitive.  Another way to do it would be to start at 0 and go to 1, but I
like putting 0 at the center of the primitive better.

I realize that primitives which are sized to 1LDU are easier to use, but a
set of primitives which don't all use the same sizing are *harder* to use
overall, because the author has to remember which sizing to use for which
primitives.

Steve