 CAD / 9135
Re: LPub 2.1.0.3 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 14:25:46 GMT

I ran into the want for orthographic camera, with my pneumatic adding
machine MOC, and made some discoveries.

You can simulate orthographic images with a camera angle of 1.  I tried
using 0, but L3P silently ignores this and assumes you want the default
angle of 67 degrees.  I modified LPub so the lowest possible angle is 1, and
I get no perspective.

Lars, is the -ca0 silently getting mapped to camera angle of 67 a "feature"
or a bug?

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Kevin Clague writes:
I just got another email discussing the use of orthographic camera and
building instructions.  The two do not work well together, and won't for the
forseeable future.

LPub leaves it to L3P to determine the camera settings.  For a given LDraw
file, LPub uses L3P to create the sequence of POV files.  LPub then examines
the sequence to find the camera setting that has the camera the farthest
away from the model.  LPub then modifies the camera settings for the entire
sequence of POVs to use the maximum distance settings.  This provides
consistant spacial scale across the entire sequence.

The orthographic option that LPub provides simply uncomments the
orthographic keyword that L3P places in the POV-Files, but in doing so, it
provides possibility that the model is not framed as desired.

I suggest not using orthographic camera settings.  Instead I recommend using
a larger camera angle.  The larger the camera angle the less perspective.
LPub's default camera angle is larger than L3P's camera angle for this very
reason (reduce the effects of perspective.)

Lars, are there any plans to add orthographic camera support to L3P, so
folks can eliminate perspective and still get that wonderful framing
mechanism you have in L3P?

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Richard Morton writes:
Kevin,
Well done on this newer version - it is a HUGE improvement over the previous
earlier version and I no longer get the calculation errors I used to get
with the numeric fields.

I do however have one strange problem that I think is a bug;

I am generation a set of renders to use as instructions for one of my custom
models.
To do this, I customise the settings and then generate a 'Complete Assembly'
render as a test to see if camera angles, lighting etc are okay.
Once I am happy that everything is ok, I attempt to do an 'Instruction
Images' render, to gernerate the step by step images. This however isn't
working properly as it is not using the same settings that 'Complete
Assembly' uses.
Specifically, I have a Globe Camera set with a Radius of -20 to move the
camera back a little (as I am using Orthographic, sometimes the corners of
the model get cut off if I don't do this). I am also using the POV>Rendering
setting of 'Ambient Light Only (high)'. Unfortunately, the camera redius it
is using is 0 and the render setting appears to be 'Media and Radiosity
(low - default)' even though it is not set that way.

I don't know if it is significant, but I have noticed that even if I save
the config as either a local or global and restart LPub, the render setting
always comes up as 'Media and Radiosity (low - default)' instead of the
Ambient Only.

If you need me to supply all the settings I use, I can, but can you please
advise me how to get this working? I am currently breaking the Model file
into a file for each step and then doing a 'Complete Assembly' generation on
each file. This of course is a lot slower than doing an 'Instruction Images'
render, but it is the only way I have found to get LPub to render using all
the settings I supply.

Thanks for the great software and the help,

Richard.

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
LPub 2.1.0.3 has been released to http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/LPub

This is a bug fix release:
  - Single image generation complains that lsynth is not installed
  - LPub forgets where LDraw and L3P are installed when saving global • config
  - Selecting specify output file name for POV-Ray doesn't complain if no
    file name provided
  - LPub can't handle names with multiple periods
  - POV-Ray anti-aliasing threshold option formatted incorrectly
  - POV-Ray output image dimensions mislabeled

These bugs were found by Willy Tschager and the reporting is much • appreciated.

One feature as added for this release:
  - support for CLEAR meta-command

Kevin Clague