 CAD / 8954
Re: LPub 2.1.0.3 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 17:26:15 GMT

Thanks for clarification on this Kevin.
I didn't realise that different settings only affected 'Complete Assembly'
and not also the Instruction Images'

LPub assumes that you will use rotation steps to adjust your view angles
for building instructions.

This makes sense and now I know how this works, I have done this in MLCad
and all is okay.

I will figure out why POV-Ray quality is not saved and restored.
This would be appreciated. I have spent quite a bit of time this morning
trying to get the 'Instruction Images' to render using ambient only, but no
matter what I do (including saving global/local configs etc) I can only get
it to render using ''Media and Radiosity' which doesn't quite give the
effect I want for instruction images.

Excellent work though - LPub is still a VERY useful tool!
Richard.

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hi Richard,

  One of the things that is ill-defined for LPub is which controls affect
Complete Image, and which controls affect Building Instructions.  The • camera
settings you refer to only affect complete image.  LPub assumes that you
will use rotation steps to adjust your view angles for building • instructions.

  Only a few of the L3P and POV-Ray controls affect the building
instructions.  I've realized that I need to figure this out and find a way
to provide as much control over building instructions as possible.  The
POV-Ray quality only affects Complete Assembly.

  I will figure out why POV-Ray quality is not saved and restored.

  I originally coded LPub to behave in the way it does.  It was by design.
I'm not so sure the design is a good one at this point.  I'll see what I • can
do to involve all the controls in building instructions.  One of the • things
that is tricky is view angle.  LPub does its own math for view angle and
always hands a view angle of 0,0 to L3P, because LPub is busy supporting
absolute and relative rotation steps.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Richard Morton writes:
Kevin,
Well done on this newer version - it is a HUGE improvement over the • previous
earlier version and I no longer get the calculation errors I used to get
with the numeric fields.

I do however have one strange problem that I think is a bug;

I am generation a set of renders to use as instructions for one of my • custom
models.
To do this, I customise the settings and then generate a 'Complete • Assembly'
render as a test to see if camera angles, lighting etc are okay.
Once I am happy that everything is ok, I attempt to do an 'Instruction
Images' render, to gernerate the step by step images. This however isn't
working properly as it is not using the same settings that 'Complete
Assembly' uses.
Specifically, I have a Globe Camera set with a Radius of -20 to move the
camera back a little (as I am using Orthographic, sometimes the corners • of
the model get cut off if I don't do this). I am also using the • POV>Rendering
setting of 'Ambient Light Only (high)'. Unfortunately, the camera redius • it
is using is 0 and the render setting appears to be 'Media and Radiosity
(low - default)' even though it is not set that way.

I don't know if it is significant, but I have noticed that even if I save
the config as either a local or global and restart LPub, the render • setting
always comes up as 'Media and Radiosity (low - default)' instead of the
Ambient Only.

If you need me to supply all the settings I use, I can, but can you • please
advise me how to get this working? I am currently breaking the Model file
into a file for each step and then doing a 'Complete Assembly' generation • on
each file. This of course is a lot slower than doing an 'Instruction • Images'
render, but it is the only way I have found to get LPub to render using • all
the settings I supply.

Thanks for the great software and the help,

Richard.

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
LPub 2.1.0.3 has been released to • http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/LPub

This is a bug fix release:
  - Single image generation complains that lsynth is not installed
  - LPub forgets where LDraw and L3P are installed when saving global • config
  - Selecting specify output file name for POV-Ray doesn't complain if • no
    file name provided
  - LPub can't handle names with multiple periods
  - POV-Ray anti-aliasing threshold option formatted incorrectly
  - POV-Ray output image dimensions mislabeled

These bugs were found by Willy Tschager and the reporting is much • appreciated.

One feature as added for this release:
  - support for CLEAR meta-command

Kevin Clague