 CAD / 9134
Re: Large LDraw/MPD Files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:55:34 GMT

Hi Tim,
  I've been working on a model with lots of synthesized pneumatic hoses, and
it is about 16M (it qualifies as large).

  I found that LPub didn't handle this well at all.  It would not choke, but
it took a very long time.  I tracked it down to algorithm problems.  LPub
keep the current DAT that is being processed in one contiguous string (which
in itself is not such a problem).  The problem is how LPub gets the DAT
information into the string.  LPub used to read in a line and "concatenate
the new line onto the accumulated string".  The new solution is to
"concatenate the new line onto the *end* of the accumulated string".  The
original algorithm ended up being an N squared problem (16M*16M is a huge
number), because each time LPub "concatenated onto the string", it was
searching for the end of string.  Now LPub's processing is on the order of N
processing and things go much better.

  This has lead me to discover that for file sizes this large, you can get
LPub/L3P/POV-Ray to render the image notably faster than if you try to view
the file in MLCAD.

  Maybe MLCAD has an N squared problem also.

Kevin

lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Has anyone had experience with HUGE LDraw files or MPD files (thousands of
parts)? What are the effects? Do they crash some programs, or make them
unusably slow? Just curious.

Thanks!

-Tim