 CAD / 9055
Re: Large LDraw/MPD Files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:15:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Has anyone had experience with HUGE LDraw files or MPD files (thousands of
parts)? What are the effects? Do they crash some programs, or make them
unusably slow? Just curious.

MLCAD is out of the question, but L3Lab is acceptable: 6.3-13 seconds,
depending on zoom factor and other preferences. No problem with L3P, but I
haven't even tried POV with Q>1...

Why is it that MLCad isn't appropriate for large models?  Does it take a long
time, or will MLCad actually crash?

And what is the size limitation?  I'm working on a fairly large model - well,
it has a large number of parts, though its overall size isn't too big.  Is
there a magic file size that prompts disaster?  Or a certain pieces count?

Everything's looking good so far, though it would be nice to brac myself if I
should be expecting a fiasco ...

thanks,
-s