 CAD / 9073
Re: Large LDraw/MPD Files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
Datsville is IMHO a HUGE model, with its 2Mb+ and several sub-models used
multiple times.

MLCAD is out of the question, but L3Lab is acceptable: 6.3-13 seconds,
depending on zoom factor and other preferences. No problem with L3P, but I
haven't even tried POV with Q>1...

In August 2001 I did a render of Datsville with QUAL=0
http://www.hassings.dk/l3/datsville.html

To be able to render the huge POV file (11 MB) generated by L3P in finite time
on my old PC (450 MHz Pentium II, 128 MB RAM) the QUAL flag in the POV file
was set to 0 initially using the -q0 option.
In POV-Ray for Windows I chose 800x600 AA 0.3 and hit the Run button.
Parsing took 8 minutes, rendering took 90 seconds. Peak memory used: 178 MB.

With QUAL=0 there are only 57,000 Frame Level Objects (POV primitives) in the scene.
With QUAL=1 or 2 there are 837,000 Frame Level Objects, and with QUAL=3
it soars to almost 11 millions Frame Level Objects!

So, rendering it with QUAL>0 will really make these objects fight to get represented
by the mere 480,000 pixels in the 800x600 image :-)
/Lars