 CAD / 6882
Re: LDR - New LDraw File Extension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:02:06 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:

Michael Lachmann wrote...

<... SNIP ...>
Therefore these 3 lines should be enough:
  LDraw Models (*.ldr, *.mpd)              (the default)
  All LDraw Files (*.ldr, *.mpd, *.dat)    (for backward compatibility)
  All Files (*.*)

How about just using .ldr?  Otherwise you Windows folks are going to
have to fight it out with Microsoft for the .mpd extension, and we
already know who'll win that battle.  :)  Microsoft registers .mpd
for Microsoft Project Documents.  Give it up now before it gets messy.

In this case, (since we are ridding the wave of change), I would sugest,
using

.mpl (Multipart Ldraw) instead of .mpd (Multipart Dat)

I think it makes reasonable sence.

Another pet peeve for is the fact, that we should agree, on  the Case of
the extension, due to the case sensitive file systems.

Should it be:
   .ldr    .mpl

   or
   .LDR    .MPL

I can settle for any of these, but I think UpperCase, should be used,
since I believe DOS (Not the FAT system), actually saves files in UpperCase.
But this may have consequences with older software (like LDraw,
something about different context, when using ".dat" and ".DAT"), but we
could leave dat files alone, and worry only about the other two (.LDR
.MPL).

See ya
   Rui Martins