 CAD / 6852
Re: LDR - New LDraw File Extension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 07:39:58 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
Hi everybody -

A few of you are curious about the new default file format the latest
version of MLCad uses, .LDR.  I will attempt to explain this to eliminate
any confusion.

For a while we (website organizers and core contributors) have wanted the
file extension for LDraw models to change.  DAT is problematic because its
an ambiguous file format, many different programs use it.  To identify • more
with LDraw, we chose LDR.

The extension change is just that.  Nothing changes in the actual file
format.  It allows an LDraw model file to be distinctive from other files.

Programs such as L2P and L3P should still work with .ldr, I see no reason
why they shouldn't.

I forgot to add, DAT will always be compatible, and should always be
compatible.  LEdit has .DAT hard-coded (and we have not found a copy of its
source to date, it cannot be changed).  All programs should read .DAT, if
its not a direct option to open or save to in Windows, it can still be
opened/saved to by selecting 'All Files.'

If my post is incoherent, that's cause its 1:40 am. ;-)

-Tim