 CAD / 6857
Re: LDR - New LDraw File Extension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:38:57 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

Hi everybody -

A few of you are curious about the new default file format the latest
version of MLCad uses, .LDR.  I will attempt to explain this to eliminate
any confusion.

For a while we (website organizers and core contributors) have wanted the
file extension for LDraw models to change.  DAT is problematic because its
an ambiguous file format, many different programs use it.  To identify more
with LDraw, we chose LDR.

This is Not exactly required!

The extension change is just that.  Nothing changes in the actual file
format.  It allows an LDraw model file to be distinctive from other files.

Yes, but it will break compatibility, with older programs.

Programs such as L2P and L3P should still work with .ldr, I see no reason
why they shouldn't.

Don't really know.

Program authors should be prompt to make the switch in the next release of
their respective titles.  The default extension for opening files and
writing files should be .LDR, and there should be the option to open .DAT
files as well.  As of this moment in time there is no plan to change the
extension for .MPD, which stands for Multi-Part DAT.

So, the actual goal, of switching to an unambigous extension, doesn't
really work, because, everybody, must keep compatible, with the old
extension (ambigous).

What about the several tools available for Ldraw .Dat files ? File
Converters and the like ?

Are we going to change all the Parts files and Primitives ?

Which programs will be affected ?
Has anyone already checked for incompatibilities, with current known
programs ?

See ya
   Rui Martins