 CAD / 6521
  Re: Sand Red Bricks

(...) So far, no one has set color codes for the newer colors. You should try different colors, and use one you like. Some you might try: 12 - this is light-red (or salmon) in LDraw, LDLite, and MLCAD. It's supposed to be a color out of Scala, but (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Sand Red Bricks

[snip previous stuff about Sand Red] Here's a couple of links that might be helpful (or not). 1. (URL) an LDraw color chart DAT I did up a while ago. You can use this to view all the available colors in any LDraw-compatible program. 2. (URL) is a (...) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Sand Red Bricks

Mike and Steve: Please write me, when you decide which colour number is apropriate for "sand red", so I can update the colour list in the LDraw FAQ. Play well, Jacob -- (URL) (23 years ago, 27-Sep-01, to lugnet.cad)

  Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

[In a brilliant blaze of thread micro-management, I've XPOSTed and FUTed lugnet.cad.dev] (...) I can't say anything's decided(1), but I went over the new colors and the color chart, and I've listed some suggestions below. Let me know what you think. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Sep-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

Steve: [ list of colours with LDraw, LDLite and RGB values ] I have added them to the LDraw FAQ: (URL) well, Jacob -- "The universe isn't for the likes of me to understand. I only work here." (23 years ago, 29-Sep-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) putting in ldliterc.dat (see recent LDLite documentation about that), or for use in any DAT being processed by a program that recognize's the 0 COLOUR statement. Steve 0 Extended colour definitions for ldliterc.dat 0 COLOUR 503 LT_GRAY 8 230 (...) (23 years ago, 1-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.ideas)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) Maybe I didn't understand something right, but the LDraw FAQ in section 20 mentiones that colors from 256 to 511 are dithered and not solid! So how can we have colors there? Are we not supporting dithered colors anymore? Or what is the real (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) This is true. When a new colour is released from LEGO, we normally aim to find a dithered colour which looks fairly much like the new colour. Then we define that particular dithered colour as the new one. That way, we can still use the old (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) Ok, that means I will extend the internal color table to 512 entries, and allow the user to modify colors up to value 511. Just looked up the code and remembered the implementation: As current MLCad supports the following: 0-31 fixed (as in (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) [snip] (...) I was my impression that colors 256 to 511 are dithered combinations of colors 0 to 15, and that the RGB was the calculated average of the two dithered colors. The RGB of dithered colors is just mentioned in the FAQ as a (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) But isn't that the whole point? If I use the dithered colour 383 in a model, L3P will interpret it as chrome and use a special colour and reflection model for it. Rendering the same model in LDraw, however, will reveal that it is only a (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) I forgot to reply to this part of your message! Steve Bliss said that the RGB values in his table were from Suzanne D. Rich's LEGO colour page. Hence, they are approximations to the real RGB values of the bricks, not the averaged RGB values. (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) Yes, but there are some problems: 1. LDraw (and LEdit) can't be changed to render new colors. So if we arbitrarily select color codes in the 0 - 255 range, the old programs won't work. 2. LDraw renders colors 17-31 the same as colors 1-15 (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

(...) I always thought the RGBs in the FAQ were supposed to be approximations of the 'real colors'. LDraw's palette is a poor match for real LEGO, and I'd hate to be stuck with it's selections. Although there were some values that we didn't have any (...) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Codes for New Colors (was: Sand Red Bricks)

Steve: (...) That's also my intention with them. Similarly are the POV-Ray colour codes intended to be the closest match for rendering the colours and transparancies in POV-Ray. Play well, Jacob -- (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Oct-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)