 CAD / 6384
Re: The first video showing a datsville building
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2001 01:55:23 GMT

Lars, if you could implement a feature in L3p that carries a vector over to
POVray, that would be great.  Here's an example.  Let's say camera.dat or
light.dat were made up of two parts - a base point and an arrow.  The base
point would be the origin, and in LDraw or Mlcad you could rotate the
arrow-light.dat around the base point in order to point it in the right
direction.  You could have l3p then measure the (distance and cooordinates)
degree of angle, or slope, betwen those two points (e.g. the tip of the
arrow and the origin/basepoint) and write that slope as a string of text in
POVray.  You wouldn't have to have l3p write the POV code for a spotlight or
anything, just the slope (comment it out if you want).  I could then cut and
paste this text into the POVray light_source or camera code that I had
written myself.  This way, one could, say, have a light in an ambulance
flash while the ambulance is moving.  I don't know much about how L3p works,
or how difficult it would be for you to code this into l3p, but it would
make it easier to make lights that shine in one direction, and I could
always do the scripting in POVray myself.
Thanks, & hope you like my input.

Mike

In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing writes:
Bram Lambrecht wrote...
Eduardo Vazquez writes:
Great ideas but I had that in mind long time ago in a lego pov scene.
but the main problem here is that Ldraw has the x,y,z different
than pov-ray and that impossible to do the only way is do in it
with Anton Raves's Pov-ray Lego lib or tell to this James to fix
up the x,y,z in Ldraw.

The coordinate system is changed easily enough using the sky, up, and right
vectors in the POV camera, or by transforming the objects themselves.

Right. L3P uses LDraw's coordinate system in its POV files. (L2P doesn't).
/Lars