 CAD / 4849
Re: Bug in L3PAO when path deleted/renamed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:18:28 GMT

"Jeff Boen" <onyx@flash.net> wrote in message news:G2w154.78H@lugnet.com...
hehe.. this is quite a little conversation you're having with yourself,
Dan!

I know - I have days (sometimes whole weeks!) like this when I'm debugging
my own software (still 99% limited to web server backend database apps, but
I've messed around with writing a quick VB app to compare 2 dats and
generate a list of additional parts, either colour matched or just part
number matched, to build the second dat from the first).

as for the model path.. it only gets passed when the model is not in the 4
directories that L3P automatically parses:
the current (l3p) dir
ldraw/models
ldraw/parts
ldraw/p

i've tried to implement a routine to avoid passing the entire path (to • keep the
commmand line short, there is a limit) unless the model is not in one of • the 4
dirs listed above. i'll take a look at the code tonight and see if i can't • make
repairations.

Hmm, my model is in e:\personal\lego\custom\dats\, and my ldraw dir is
e:\personal\lego\ldraw\, so there should be no reason why the path isn't
passed. I've consistently managed to get it to fail if I run L3PAO and
select a model from the drop down which is still pointing to
e:\personal\lego\custom\dats\, the only way to get my POV file created is to
hit the elipses and select the file (I guess you're reading the filename
property of the common dialog which does include the full path at this
point). I must say that L3PAO is much easier than trying to use L2P (the dat
I'm trying to render references external files in the same dir, and L2P just
creates a POV file of includes, so I have to also process all the included
dats first ...), and the drop down list of views make it easy to choose a
good viewpoint for us POV-Ray challenged users - I first used POV-Ray back
on my old 486 about 6 years ago and only then for a few days, but now I've
got into MLCad and LEGO modelling it makes a huge difference when
visuallising the models so I can see that what I'm designing will actually
look aesthetically pleasing in real life too.

Dan