 CAD / 4464
Re: Macintosh Ldraw part files.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:23:33 GMT

Stuffit Expander does the right thing with the self-extracting zips too. (at
least I have seen it work more than once!) I don't have the full Stuffit
package.

It's an amazing little program. (it's also down with .gz and tar and who knows
what else.)

Stuffit fully supports Windows with tools and handles its platform file details.
These guys also got tired of the limitations of zip.

If the LDRAW data packs were offered in Stuffit format, everybody could be
happy. Might be popular if it adds value for the Windows folks.

In lugnet.cad, Ben Vaughan writes:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:

Can Mac's typically extract from other archive formats, such as ZIP?  How
about ZIPs packaged as (PC)self-extracting files?

There's been some discussion about switching the LDraw/LCAD distribution
files from ARJ to ZIP.  We haven't yet, because ZIP files (especially
PKZIP) have an annoying tendency to not use the folder-information in the
archive unless the user explicitly tells the program to do so.

Steve,
Yes, Macs (Stuffit actually) can extract zip files, but I don't think they can
deal with self extracting zips as they are packaged as an executable for
Windows machines.