 CAD / 3015
Re: Datsville is filling up!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:29:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Mike Stanley writes:
John VanZwieten <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

John VanZwieten <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote in message
news:FJzqwD.AsD@lugnet.com...

I updated the povray file on the geocities site also.  If any kind person
would care to run a render tommorrow, I'd be gratefull.  I'll post some • camera
coordinates that I'd like to see, but feel free to chose your own.  Sat.
morning Datsville goes on display at Mindfest.

Try Camera 0,-950,0  Lookat 2700, -4, 2500   and
Camera 0,-950,0  Lookat 2700, -4, -2500

Hmmmm.... I never heard back from you in .castle when I volunteered
to run this on one of my machines at work, but I'm still willing.

I've got the mahcines to do it, both at work and at home, I'm just
not proficient with Pov-Ray, so I'd need a bit of guidance in order
to get it up and running.

I think the one I ran through before took a couple hours?  maybe a
little longer.  Assuming Pov-Ray can take advantage of multiple
processors I bet my dual 517 machine at home could crank it out
fairly quickly.

--

Your help would be great!  Sorry about not getting back, but I've had a couple
of those weeks.

Once you download the townpov.zip file, unzip it into any directory, launch
POV-Ray, then open town.pov.  Set the image size to 600X800, then go to the
bottom of the file.  The last lines define the camera and look-at coordinates
(well, there are also some comment lines at the very bottom).
Change these coordinates to one of the coordinate sets I gave you, then Start
Rendering.

The result will be a bitmap which needs to be converted to .jpg (I use
Photoshop, but I'm sure you have your own way).  Then the .jpg can be uploaded
to Lugnet using Todd's handy thumbnail script.  Perhaps Todd could give you
permission on the Datsville directory.

If you care to experiment with your own settings, at the top of the town.pov
file, set "quality=0".  This will give you an idea of what you'll see in less
than a minute.  Then set "quality=3" for the actuall run.

Thanks for any help.  I'll continue checking tonight and even early morning to
see what you come up with.