 CAD / 17672
Re: Heightfields in LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:03:52 GMT

Michael Horvath wrote:

It could be nice if the tool switched between polygons and studs
depending on the slope of the terrain. I like how some of the molded
TLG baseplates aren't entirely covered by studs and have some empty
spaces.

I found the sources, and did a quick fix (no hardcoded files anymore). It
still only generates a BlockCAD .LGO file but that is easily translated to
LDRAW with BlockCAD.

http://www.blockcad.net/downloads/plasma.zip

There's no part optimizing - the whole landscape is built with 1x1 bricks
and 1x1 plates. In a real build, the bottom layers could use fewer, larger,
bricks.

It also uses custom colors, not LEGO colors only.

It can generate landscapes up to 128x128, but I warn you: Thats 16384 bricks
per layer! If you generate it filled up from the bottom it will be VERY slow
in all LDRAW editors. I'd recommend generating the top layer only (no Fill).

Please note that there will be sideways gaps when generating the top layer
only, as it is a mix of bricks and plates.

I don't think I will make the changes to directly generate LDRAW data (too
many other interesting projects, for example a LEGO pinball game -
http://www.swebrick.se/forum/index.php?topic=1685.msg26999#msg26999), but
anyone is welcome to do anything with the code. The .exe and the Delphi 5
sources are included in the zip, you'd need JVCL/JCL to compile.

--
Anders Isaksson