 CAD / 17673
Re: Lego globe...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:34:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath wrote:
If you were to create a computer simulation of a globe completely made of Legp
with cities on it and everything, how would you overcome the limitation imposed
by the fact that you can't tile squares across the surface of the globe?

I guess that depends on whether you're talking about a 3-D LEGO globe or a 2-D
LEGO map? I'm not sure I quite follow exactly what you're trying to do.

I played around a while ago and got a program that would build an LDraw globe
based on a 2-D map projection of the continents and so forth. Basically,
transferring between the two turns into a complex math problem.  So if you took
the latitude/longitude of a city, you could figure out which "brick" on the
surface of the sphere that related to, and make it change colors or whatever.

DaveE

I like the idea of a Lego globe or world!

Having recently been involved in building an OpenStreetMap tileserver I came
across the following project that might be of interest:

Isometric 3D map of Czech Republic
http://osm.kyblsoft.cz/3dmapa/info

...and this page that gives you a zoomable/scrollable isometric map:
http://osm.kyblsoft.cz/3dmapa/?zoom=17&lat=75.75078&lon=14.31372&layers=B

One option would be to change the map style in the osm2pov code and replace the
various buildings and other map items with the equivalent rendered Lego objects.

See my other post about osm2pov on the POV-Ray newsgroup:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cop.vrr7em02ufxv4h@xena%3E/

If you fancy building your own tileserver using OpenStreetMap data then someone
has already setup an Amazon cloud instance to do this:
http://tiledrawer.com/

If you want to avoid paying Amazon Cloud service costs then you could always try
building your own tileserver using Ubuntu:
http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server
(I'm hoping to try this out at some point)

Bye for now

Reuben

Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego