 CAD / 17676
Re: Lego globe...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2011 15:08:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Reuben Pearse wrote:
If you fancy building your own tileserver using OpenStreetMap data then someone
has already setup an Amazon cloud instance to do this:
http://tiledrawer.com/

If you want to avoid paying Amazon Cloud service costs then you could always try
building your own tileserver using Ubuntu:
http://weait.com/content/build-your-own-openstreetmap-server
(I'm hoping to try this out at some point)

Way above my skill level unfortunately.

I've been thinking about this a bit more. I wonder how you would accomplish this
using an arbitrary data source and without having your own physical server. All
the software I've looked at so far connect to existing GIS databases based on
the real world versus fictional ones.

I could create my own static map and small database in little time, but it would
not be automated and would not handle important things like user registrations,
logins, submissions and so forth as I've never created anything like that from
scratch.

-Mike