 CAD / 17671
Re: Lego globe...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:36:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, David Eaton wrote:
I guess that depends on whether you're talking about a 3-D LEGO globe or a 2-D
LEGO map? I'm not sure I quite follow exactly what you're trying to do.

I played around a while ago and got a program that would build an LDraw globe
based on a 2-D map projection of the continents and so forth. Basically,
transferring between the two turns into a complex math problem.  So if you took
the latitude/longitude of a city, you could figure out which "brick" on the
surface of the sphere that related to, and make it change colors or whatever.

DaveE

I think it was just a silly question, sorry. I meant somewhere in between the
3-D globe and 2-D map... but you can't really apply a square map to a round
globe without squishing things. :)

-Mike