 CAD / 16908
Re: LEGO's Internal colour palette
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:27:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, scott Frischmann wrote:
I wonder why that color is called Bright Purple? On Bricklink and elsewhere,
it's called Dark Pink. It don't look purple at all.
What's the diff between pink and purple?
Pink = Red + White.
Purple = Red + Blue.

Don't burn out your brain trying to figure out how they came up with the
official color names.  All that is required is to understand that there's some
_serious_ disparity between their names and ours.  For instance:

They call it Brick Yellow.  We call it Tan.
They call it Trans Brown.  We call it Trans Black or Smoke.
They call it Forest Green.  We call it Dark Green.
They call it Dark Green.  We call it Green.
They call it Earth Orange.  We call it Brown.
They call it Brown.  We call it Dark Flesh.

Now, there are a few that they did much better with than the AFOL community,
like how we call it Trans Medium Blue, but they (correctly) note that it's
actually Trans Flourescent Blue (if you're not sure which one it is, Trans Light
Blue looks like it might glow under blacklight but actually doesn't, while Trans
Medium Blue doesn't look like it will but actually does).  On the other hand,
they throw around the terms "Bright" and "Dark" to colors very differently than
we do.  If you actually look through the Peeron color chart, the only truly
standard non-trans colors that have matching terms between LEGO and AFOL are
black, white, and the original dark grey (otherwise it's dark bluish grey/dark
bley vs dark stone).  I mean, there are others like copper and some of the sand
colors, but if you look at the very basic color pallet (B/W spectrum, brown, and
the six primary/secondary colors), we barely agree on anything.