 CAD / 14875
Re: White noise around model with colored background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:39:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   to this. After spending a few hours getting nice alpha data into the image file for transparent parts, I realized that the same set of steps would probably work for the edge lines. So, I gave it a try, and sure enough, it worked. See here:

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/AAAlphaDemo.html

I forgot to mention, but while the above page looks very similar to the page I posted recently on a lugnet.cad.ray thread, it is different in a very important way. The image on the above page was saved out of LDView at 800x600, which is the resolution that it is shown at on the page. Here is the page posted in that other thread:

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/AlphaDemo.html

The image on that page was saved out of LDView at 3200x2400, then resized in Photoshop using bi-cubic sampling, and 3 intermediate size steps (2400x1800, 1600x1200, & 1200x900). (Note that it started out with an edge line thickness in LDView of 3 in order to make it so that the edges still look OK at 800x600.) The resizing in Photoshop provided 16x antialiasing to the entire image. The new image shows what the next version of LDView will be able to do without any post-processing. If LDView is used from LPub, it should provide a noticeable improvement, particularly if LPub is set to put an image behind the instructions.

Hey those look nice. Just for kicks I ran off a test with the ancient method of ldglite at 2x scale followed by ImageMagick mogrify 50% to shrink it back and antialias.

http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/AAAlphaDemo.html

I like your edge outer edges better. Very nice. I’ll have to look into that method someday...

But I was wondering about the first set of images. Did you get this with only the 3 pass method you described, or did you also have some form of FSAA enabled? If you got it without FSAA, that’s really impressive.

I was also wondering if FSAA does anything to the stippled transparency. I don’t have the hardware so I can’t try it, but I’m sorta partial to the way the cheesy stippled transparency comes out when you antialias it. At least for instructions, I think it’s a bit less confusing.

Have fun,

Don