 CAD / 12910
Re: White noise around model with colored background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:38:17 GMT

(If you haven't read Don's message, go do that now.  It's too long to quote
here.)

I have a few comments.  The first is that it will only fully work if you set the
line width to 2 or more.  Otherwise, you'll have jaggies around the inside edges
of the outline line, and when it blends into the background, the background
might have a tendency to bleed through toward the polygons.

Secondly, either I didn't understand your two passes, or they won't actually
work unless the edge line thickness is set to at least 2.  When the edge
thickness is set to 1, the edge lines draw over the edges of the polygons
they're outlining.  They don't stick out at all, so nothing would get drawn at
all in that pass.

Other than that, I think you're right that it would produce the desired result.
I'm not sure people can be expected to put up with thicker edge lines in order
to achieve the result, though.

One other thing.  Full-screen antialiasing would probably adversly impact the
result.  I'm not completely sure of this, but I suspect that it would.

One other thing.  I only think the edge lines themselves have to go through two
passes.  First, draw all the polygons with stencil writes enabled.  Then draw
the edge lines with blending enabled, but stencil writes disabled.  Then draw
the edge lines with blending disabled and stencil writes disabled, but stencil
tests enabled.

--Travis Cobbs