 CAD / 12911
Re: Restrict pars to LEGO set in MLCad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John O'Keefe wrote:
I've wanted this feature too, especially a few years ago when I was doing a
book for a specific set.  It would also be handy for "alternate models" like
wanted for his train book.

  I'll add this to LPub.  You provide the reference set, and the alternate
model, and LPub will tell you these things:

  The unused parts and counts remaining in the reference set.

  The parts within the alternate model that that are overbudget.

  It will be a simple textual dump to LPub's console window.  Is this
sufficient, or do you want it dumped to an external file?

  You will have to provide the reference set and alternate model set in LDraw
format.

That sounds great Kevin! The info dumped to an external file would probably
be best so it could be used by others.

- John

John,
  I threw together a simple command line program called subset (anyone got a
better name?)

  You provide it with two parameters:  The file name of the "official" set, and
the file name of the "alternate" model.  It prints out two list:

  The first list is the parts in the official set that you have used, and the
second list is the parts that you used that went over the "official" set's
budget.

  It prints the list out to the command prompt window (stdout).  Implementing
this as a command line command allows LPub and any other program (e.g. MLCad,
LeoCAD, etc.) to use it.

  The program is available at:

    www.kclague.net/subset

  Once I figure out a good name, I'll make an install package.

Enjoy,
Kevin