 CAD / 12878
Re: Restrict pars to LEGO set in MLCad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:32:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John O'Keefe wrote:
I would like to build some custom creations in MLCad that could be built using a
paticular set. For example say take the LEGO set 7241 "Fire Car" and make a race
car out of it. That way when I am done with the custom creations people will
know they can make them if they own that paticular set.

The only way that I currently know how to possibly do this is to either add the
parts from that set as "favorite parts" and then only use those parts, or create
my own custom parts list that is limited to the parts from the set. The above
two methods will allow me to only see parts that are available in the set that I
am using for my custom creation. Are there any other methods to restrict the
parts?

Second is there anyway to restrict the number of parts used. For example I am
creating my creation and want to get a warning or be prevented from using more
parts than what came in the set. Currently I have no idea how to do that beyond
manually checking he parts inventory after each step and checking it against the
actual parts inventory for the LEGO set. The only other way I could think of is
add all the parts from the set to the 3D cad workspace and then place them as I
am building the model. While restricting myself to only the parts from the set I
would think my workspace could get quite messy. I am also not sure how that
would effect the creation of instructions from my final model.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve any of the above please let me
know.

Best Regards,
John

John,

  I've wanted this feature too, especially a few years ago when I was doing a
book for a specific set.  It would also be handy for "alternate models" like
wanted for his train book.

  I'll add this to LPub.  You provide the reference set, and the alternate
model, and LPub will tell you these things:

  The unused parts and counts remaining in the reference set.

  The parts within the alternate model that that are overbudget.

  It will be a simple textual dump to LPub's console window.  Is this
sufficient, or do you want it dumped to an external file?

  You will have to provide the reference set and alternate model set in LDraw
format.

Kevin