 CAD / 12844
Re: White noise around model with colored background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:43:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
I think I had an idea for an extra rendering pass to fix this but
never got motivated enough to try it out.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=9910

Does it sound like it might work?  I can barely remember what I was
thinking.

That won't help.  The problem is that OpenGL antialiasing antialises
the color channel based on the background color the original rendering
happens over.  So even if you bump the alpha on all those pixels up to
1.0 (fully opaque), you'll still have the original blended color based
on the original background color.  You end up with the same problem
with regular alpha-blended transparent items that sit over the
background.

Ah ha!  That explains why I said to set the background color to black.
That way the exterior lines alpha blend with zeros.  I suspect setting
-b0 in the ldglite options window of lpub will give better results.
Maybe lpub should always do this if antialiasing and transparent pngs
are used.

What we need is the ability to tell OpenGL to not blend the color
channels if the destination alpha of the pixel being drawn is 0.
(Perhaps the blending should be proportional to the destination
alpha of the existing pixel.)  I'm pretty sure this isn't possible
in OpenGL.

Or we could blend with a background color of zero (black), right?

Unfortunately, that doesn't help.  It still blends, which means that if (for
instance) your edge is red, and you have a pixel that's 50% covered via
antialiasing, then that pixel comes out dark red (50% red + 50% black = dark
red) with 50% alpha transparency.  Composite that over a white background, and
you'll end up with a dark halo.

What we need it the ability to have the blending not occur in the color channel
at all when the background is fully tranparent.  As far as I know, that's not
possible.

--Travis