 CAD / 14880
Re: White noise around model with colored background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
   Wow, those lines are much smoother than anything I remember getting with simple antialiased lines. Was that rendered by ATI or Nvidia, or do they both give you results like that? Does the SMOOTH HINT make a big difference? I think I set it to NICEST, but the code is so convoluted by now that it could be using FASTEST for all I really know...

I don’t set the filter hint. It was rendered on an nVidia 7800 GT. My ATI at work does a reasonably good job with the same settings, but it leaves a few small gaps in the edges (around some studs):

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/m6459-ati.png

   Anyhow, that’s inspirational. I really thought you’d have to use FSAA (or the equivalent post processing) to get the edge lines that pretty.

Actually, based on this you’d have to have the FSAA set pretty hight to even come close to matching the line AA on the nVidia card.

--Travis