 CAD / 14492
  Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

guys, I'm currently working on 004219b.dat - Sticker System with Australia Flag Pattern. unfortunately there is no rule for subparts in the sticker standard: (URL) to the PT references: (URL) are subparts numbered? A: Subparts, which are stored in (...) (17 years ago, 27-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Hi Willy, Nice explanation about naming. The issue of 8.3 nomenclature falls under the purvue of the Standards Committee. Before they can remove that constraint, they will have to work with the community of tool developers to understand the (...) (17 years ago, 27-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Hi Kevin, frankly I never understood how and why a program (I've never used BTW) can set a standard! I don't use Office progs from Redmond but I doubt that the file format for Word2007 has to be compatible with Word for DOS 5.5. Hang on! (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Willy, I agree completely on this point. That is why the LSC created the LDraw file format specification 1.0.0. I have never used LDraw myself, but I know that for some very influential people in the LDraw community this is an issue. I did not (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Yeah, but there's always another way. One that preserves the precious backwards compatibility. In this case you could make more subdirectories in the official library. Like the LDRAW/P/48 directory that was created to avoid name conflicts (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Well I've just spent some time on another way. You can make a new version of mklist that works as follows: scan through the parts, if a filename is long then make a new copy of the file with a standardised short file name (possible assigned in (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) That's an interesting approach, but I don't know if it'll work for the subpart files that started this thread. I think mklist only handles files in the PARTS directory. The subpart filenames would be embedded in the part files that use them, (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Darn! In that case I'd suggest making a short filename preparer as a backwards compatibility measure. Perhaps it would bring all longfilename parts into an MPD (with shortened names) or something similar (eg. creates short name versions (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) To elaborate: Suppose you have a part abcdefg.dat with loads of subparts (Too many to name with the 8.3 restriction). Just make a new subdirectory LDRAW/PARTS/S/abcdefg/ and put the numbered subparts in there (like (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) I'm personally undecided on the issue of long filenames. On the one hand Willy is entirely correct that we probably shouldn't disallow them purely because of ldraw.exe/ledit.exe. On the other hand, Kevin's post that LPub/LSynth would both have (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) This suprises me. Can you elaborate on this? If we in the LSC are going to make an informed decision on this issue, understanding why this is the case with LPub/LSynth would help us greatly. I know all Win32 API calls work fine with long (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Or, we should start by introducing the new standard, use it in a few (relatively obscure) instances, and give the various software authors a chance to sort it out. Considering the general pace of parts releases, a long-named file would be on (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Call me paranoid, but long filenames make me nervous because of the other worms packaged along with them (like unicode or UTF-8, blech!). Sure your filenames might look great on Windows, but try to bring them over to another filesystem, or (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Couldn't that be dealt with by restricting the filenames to alphanumerics + the usual suspects (_ etc.)? My understanding was those were unchanged in any character set. Tim (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) We are talking about official files in the parts library here. They're not going to have Unicode or special characters. If this isn't already explicitly in the spec for library filenames, we can certainly add it. As a side note, UTF-8 and (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Well, I still do ocasionally, when I'm using my remote MS-DOS based platform. And on my other platform, running on a Windows NT operating system, (URL) this nomenclature test> failed on the second line. (Although I do not fully understand the (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Travis it has to do with parsing. For type 1 lines and 8.3 I can simply use sscanf. Kevin (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) Sorry for posting to my own post. In particular if the "longer file names" cannot have blanks in the names, then there is no problem for LPub or LSynth. 20.3 would require no changes at to LPub or LSynth. Given that sscanf splits things up by (...) (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) OK, that makes a lot more sense. LDView had the same problem with whitespace in filenames until I specifically added support for that. (LDView now gives you a warning when it encounters whitespace in a filename.) --Travis (17 years ago, 28-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature??? (scanf tricks)

(...) misparse file names with blanks or tabs in them. (...) will be backward compatible and not cause problems (at least not for (...) I have no idea whether this could be worked into your sscanf usage, but it is possible to read whitespace into (...) (17 years ago, 29-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature??? (scanf tricks)

(...) <snip> (...) Hi Jim, Thanks! I'll use it. Kevin (17 years ago, 29-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature??? (scanf tricks)

(...) That's a nifty scanf trick. But don't forget, you might still want to (URL) trim leading and trailing whitespace> (tabs and space characters) from the parsed filename (and maybe even surrounding quotes). Don (17 years ago, 29-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) I very strongly support allowing the inclusion of whitespace in LDraw filenames, provided the first character is not whitespace. Bricksmith has always allowed users to do this. When parsing a line, I get all the matrix numbers, skip all (...) (17 years ago, 2-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) You should also consider stripping trailing whitespace from the end of the filename. I believe MLCad and most of the other programs do this. Whitespace in filenames has been supported by many Ldraw programs for quite a while, but it does not (...) (17 years ago, 2-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)

  Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???

(...) I just don't want people confusing naming conventions in the part library with naming conventions in Linetype 1 part references. I was mostly replying to Kevin saying his applications choke on spaces in part references, which is something I'd (...) (17 years ago, 4-Apr-07, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)