 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6132
Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:25:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
Call me paranoid, but long filenames make me nervous because of the
other worms packaged along with them (like unicode or UTF-8, blech!).
Sure your filenames might look great on Windows, but try to bring them
over to another filesystem, or download them automagically over the
internet, and you might not get what you paid for.  I think they're
fine for model files, but the library is probably better off without
them.

We are talking about official files in the parts library here.  They're not
going to have Unicode or special characters.  If this isn't already explicitly
in the spec for library filenames, we can certainly add it.

As a side note, UTF-8 and UTF-16 are both actually Unicode.  When most people
say Unicode, they really mean UTF-16.  (As far as I can tell, all references to
"Unicode" from Microsoft really refer to UTF-16.)  However, UTF-8 is still
Unicode; it's just indistinguishable from ASCII for all letters used by the
English language.

--Travis