 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6127
Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Don Heyse wrote:
there's always another way.  One that preserves the
precious backwards compatibility.  In this case you could make
more subdirectories in the official library.  Like the LDRAW/P/48
directory that was created to avoid name conflicts between high
and low resolution primitives.  (Just tossing that into the mix
for consideration.)

To elaborate:  Suppose you have a part abcdefg.dat with loads
of subparts (Too many to name with the 8.3 restriction).
Just make a new subdirectory LDRAW/PARTS/S/abcdefg/ and put the
numbered subparts in there (like LDRAW/PARTS/S/abcdefg/99999999.dat)
This has the added benefit of tidying up the S directory a bit.

I'm personally undecided on the issue of long filenames.  On the one hand Willy
is entirely correct that we probably shouldn't disallow them purely because of
ldraw.exe/ledit.exe.  On the other hand, Kevin's post that LPub/LSynth would
both have to be updated to allow for them surprised me, and it indicates to me
that perhaps the existing library LDraw-compatible software programs isn't as
immune to problems introduced by long filenames as I had thought.  If adding
this is going to break a bunch of programs, we shouldn't do it.

Don's suggestion seems to have merit.  It should work with any existing
software, and still solves this particular problem.  (It of course doesn't solve
a problem where a part name itself would need more than 8 characters.)  But does
the Parts Tracker support new directories?

In any event, I'll bring it up in the LSC.

--Travis