 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6140
Re: Getting rif off the 8.3 nomenclature???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 20:08:19 GMT

   Sorry for posting to my own post. In particular if the “longer file names” cannot have blanks in the names, then there is no problem for LPub or LSynth. 20.3 would require no changes at to LPub or LSynth.

Given that sscanf splits things up by whitespace, I think LPub and LSynth would misparse file names with blanks or tabs in them.

I very strongly support allowing the inclusion of whitespace in LDraw filenames, provided the first character is not whitespace. Bricksmith has always allowed users to do this. When parsing a line, I get all the matrix numbers, skip all whitespace after them, and then dump any remaining characters into the part name.

I also think clinging to the obsolete DOS naming scheme is a hinderance to readability, so I would be happy to see it abandoned.

Ultimately I don’t really care what standards are decreed in the Part Library name conventions per se. But since a part reference can point to something in the library, elsewhere on disk, or to an MPD submodel, part library naming restrictions could bleed into many other areas where they are highly unwelcome. For instance, I consider it absolutely vital to be able to create MPD submodel names that I can read, and that means long names and spaces.

Allen