 CAD / 13479
RE: LPub woes - more info and a different problem now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:12:41 GMT

OK,

So just re-did the clean out and re-install on my other machine (same OS
build, etc, etc, etc)

Full "audit" follows

Control Panel -> Add / Remove Software -> Remove LDView 3.0
Control Panel -> Add / Remove Software -> LPub
Control Panel -> Add / Remove Software -> LPub 2.4.8
Delete LDView, LPub and LPub2 sub-dirs from c:\lego\cadtools
Delete LPUB and Travis Cobbs registry entries
Delete LPub from Programs menu registry entry
(Only remaining keys/values in registry relating to LPub or LDView are in
MRU lists)
(Agent Ransack shows no trace of LPub or LDView on the file system)
Reboot
Install LDView-3000.exe (downloaded direct from sourceforge)
  to C:\Lego\CadTools\LDView
  no start menu
  no screen saver
Launch on install
  select LDraw dir (C:\Lego\CadTools\LDraw)
  create LPub preference set
  set background to orange
Open m6459.ldr in MLCad
  update parts
  save
Install LPub_2_4_8_0_setup.exe
  to C:\Lego\CadTools\LPub2
Launch on install
  grant LPub.exe permission to launch other apps in ZoneAlarm
  select LDraw dir (C:\Lego\CadTools\LDraw)
  select L3P.exe (C:\Lego\CadTools\l3p\L3P.EXE) [L3P v1.3 20010120  (C)
1998-2001]
  click on Rendered tab
  click on LDView button
  select C:\Lego\CadTools\LDView\LDView.exe and click Open button
  change drop-down to LDView.exe
  open m6459.ldr
  generate -> complete model
  Error: "copy: failed to open LPub\LDraw\m6459.ldr for writing."
  Click OK
  grant LPub.exe permission to launch cmd.exe in ZoneAlarm
  Progress Status dialog appears
  Error: "get_camera_distance failed to open LPub\POV\m6459.pov"
  Click OK
  Progress Status dialog removes itself
  ...\LDview\LPub\Images\m6459.png is created - but is a 4Kb file of orange
  LPub sub-dir contains sub-dirs of HTML, Images, Layout, LDraw, Parts and
POV (all empty except for png in Images)
  delete Images\m6459.png
  generate -> complete model
  Progress Status dialog appears
  Progress Status dialog removes itself
  ...\LDview\LPub\Images\m6459.png is created - NOW 78Kb of a truck on an
orange background (also have 273Kb pov file)
  delete pov and png file
  Select "Generate --> CSIs, PLIs and BOM"
  Progress Status dialog appears
  in LPub/Ldraw one ldr and three dat files appear
  in LPub/POV three pov files appear
  in LPub/Images one 28Kb png appears
  Error: Access violation at address 00443B44 in moudle 'LPub.exe'.  Read of
address 01744710
  Click OK
  Progress status dialog is still shown, cannot be dismissed by either Pause
or Cancel buttons
  All LPub menus are greyed out
  Have to terminate LPub from the X button (top right)

So what changed - I *THINK* I was offered the option to remove some DLL's
and this time I choose to remove them when uninstalling LPub.  So it may be
that LPub2 is picking up old (VB?) dll's

But its still broken, just differently now :-(