 CAD / 13478
RE: LPub woes - more info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:00:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, William Howard wrote:
Uninstalled LDView and LPub2 (neither of which actually do a complete • un-install
as they leave registry keys, sub-directories, start menu items, etc lying
around)

Removed all traces of them.

I went to my desktop machine and did the same thing.  I got different • results.
You've given great info on what you did to test it out.  Could you give me • info
on what you did to clean it out?

Via Control Panel, Add / Remove Software ran the uninstallers for both LPub2
and LDView3
Deleted the LPub2 directory
Deleted the LDView directory
Deleted the HKLM/Software/LPUB registry entry
Deleted the HKCU/Software/Travis Cobbs registry entry

Install LDView 3.0 (13th Dec 2005 build)
Set LDraw directory
Open m6459.ldr
Create LPub preference set
Exit
Open m6459.ldr with MLCad
Update ~moved parts
Save
Install LPub 2.4.8.0
Set LDraw directory
Set L3P.exe location (L3P v1.3 20010120)
Set LDView as renderer

Steve Barile, did you do the above step?

Open m6459.ldr from LDView directory
Select "Generate --> Complete model"
Error: "copy: failed to open LPub\LDraw\m6459.ldr for writing."

The first thing that render_single_dat() (the function that renders • complete
model) does is call create_working_dirs() (the function that creates all • the
LPub working directories for the current model).

It looks like this failed.  Do you have write premission for the directory • that
contains m6459.ldr?
Yes.  I am local admin on both machines I can re-produce the problem on.
Also, it would seem that LPub can create the working directories as they
exist after the first rendering so the error then does occur on the second
rendering

Where is your LDview 3.0 installed?  The default is "C:\Program • Files\LDView",
which has a blank in its name.
All my installs live under c:\Lego\CadTools then LDView is in ...\LDView and
LPub2 is in ...\LPub2

The LDraw installer installs LDView in "c:\LDraw\Apps\LDView" which doesn't • have
blanks in the name.

The version of LDView installed by the LDraw installer does not have LPub
support.
The original LDView sub-directory has been deleted

Click OK
Error: "get_camera_distance failed to open LPub\POV\m6459.pov"

Again, it looks like a permission problem (which contradicts with the next • item)

Click OK
...\LDview\LPub\Images\m6459.png is created - but is a 2Kb file of black • on
black!

Are you sure this was rendered by LDView 3.0?
If it wasn't LDView 3.0 then not sure what did render it!

Delete m6459.png
Select "Generate --> Complete model"
No "errors" this time, but image is still black on black
Select "Generate --> CSIs, PLIs and BOM"
.../LPub/LDraw has three .dat and one .ldr files
.../LPub/POV has four .pov files
LDView opens and closes once
Error: "The handle is invalid"
Click OK
Progress status dialog is still shown, cannot be dismissed by either • Pause or
Cancel buttons

I still have a race problem here.

All LPub menus are greyed out
Have to terminate LPub from the X button (top right)

Something seems to be broken big time

OS is Windows XP Pro - ver 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : • Service
Pack 2)
MS .NET 1.1 framework is installed

Do you have more than one LDView installed?  How did you install LDraw • library?
L3P?
LDraw et al were originally installed from the Virtual Lego CD.  LDraw has
been updated many times since.  L3P I believe is the original.

Only one LDView installed BUT I do still have LPub1 installed

William