 CAD / 12971
Re: Seemingly insane poly counts in official games - how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:16:32 GMT

   Hmm, How many poly’s in that model? and what game is it a mod for? Balancing poly budgets in games is a non-trivial problem, how you do it is very dependant on the game, how many instances of a model is the game expected to render at once? how small on the screen are the models going to be?

Aha, a quick search answered my own question, it’s for homeworld. A game where there are potentially hundreds of ships and other models on screen and all of them are tiny. No wonder the poly budget is so tight. In fact 99% of the time having studs would be a waste of time as they’d be too small to see. In an ideal world your game engine would support multiple levels of detail so that when the ship is up close to the camera it could use a high poly model with studs, smooth cylinders and all the other gubbins, but still use low detail models when they are far away and the detail couldn’t be seen anyway.

Actually, Homeworld does exactly that. I’ve yet to finish texturing the first batch of 28 or 30 ships, afterwards I’ll LOD em. This is my first mod, so I was unsure what the poly count guidelines should be, since I want to keep the amount of lodding to a minimum, since at a distance many of these ships are actually still quite visible. Should the mod ever be ported over to Homeworld 2, I may create a new lod layer underneath these. Not bloody likely though it’s taken me at least 3 months just to make these. :)

-Stefan-