 CAD / 12959
Re: Seemingly insane poly counts in official games - how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:37:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Stefan Garcia wrote:
Hi y'all,

I'm just curious if anyone knows how Lego gets away with their models having
studs and tubes and everything in their games?  It seems like the poly count
would be unplayably ridiculous.

-Stefan-

Hi Stefan,

My guess is that the studs are a special primitive which is just attached as a
bitmap. A cylinder is very quick to render and so a simple routine to map an
angle to a cone bitmap which is then added in the right place wouldn't be too
hard to write and would be quick to implement. It could be done by a method
similar to the way some games render complex trees.

I don't have the game but do the studs cast shadows? Mind you, in rendered
graphics it probably isn't too hard to make a shadow of the bitmap anyway as you
wouldn't notice the difference.

I hadn't thought of that.  So the studs don't quite exist, the game engine just
knows where to draw them, right?  Indeed, the studs don't seem to cast shadows,
though they are shaded.

-Stefan-