 CAD / 12841
Re: Transparent parts (small)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:21:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
What I see when I use small parts in transparent colors does not
make me happy.
See what I mean in the same image of my previous post:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/LPubTests/bbsswinr_0_05_ci.png

Look at the "plate 1 x 1 round" colored red transparent in the PLI
and the step.  Any way to get this better? I'd prefer using LPub and
LDGLite as renderer.

I don't think LDGLite supports anything other than stipple transparency.
If you use LDView as your renderer, you can get sorted blended
trancparency.  You'll want to use the latest LDView test release for
it to work properly, though. That's available here:

http://www.halibut.com/~tcobbs/ldraw/private/LDView-3000B1E.zip

(I know you said you prefer to use LDGLite as the renderer, and
LDView is certainly slower than LDGLite, but LDView is a whole lot
faster than POV-Ray.  I seem to remember Don commenting in the past
that sorted blended transparency wasn't supported in LDGLite.  I
suppose that could have changed, though.)

It's true.  The only way to get really nice transparent effects
from ldglite is to use the trick described here where you render at
a higher resolution and then scale down.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=5344

I believe the current model of the month at ldraw.org was rendered
with this technique, and it even has a "plate 1 x 1 round" in
transparent orange, if you want to check it out.

  http://ldraw.org/gallery/album35/m2004_11_andersson_large.png

It'd be really cool if lpub had an option to do that for you though.
I wonder if you can force it to scale up through the ldglite options
box without totally messing up lpub...

Don