 CAD / 12835
    White noise around model with colored background —Jaco van der Molen
   Hi, Is there a way, using LPub and LDGLite as a renderer, to get rid of the white "noise" around the model when using a colored background? See example: (URL) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) your background color in the LPub images, or turn off antialiasing in LDGLite. I'm not sure how to do either, but I assume both are possible. One problem with setting the background color in LDGLite is that the PLIs in LPub use a different (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
   (...) Antialiasing it turned on in ldglite by -q. I'm not sure if this is done automatically by lpub or if it's in the optional settings box. Background color is set by -b and I think it supports ldlite and l3p colors style extended colors. (...) I (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) That won't help. The problem is that OpenGL antialiasing antialises the color channel based on the background color the original rendering happens over. So even if you bump the alpha on all those pixels up to 1.0 (fully opaque), you'll still (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
   (...) Ah ha! That explains why I said to set the background color to black. That way the exterior lines alpha blend with zeros. I suspect setting -b0 in the ldglite options window of lpub will give better results. Maybe lpub should always do this if (...) (19 years ago, 8-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) Unfortunately, that doesn't help. It still blends, which means that if (for instance) your edge is red, and you have a pixel that's 50% covered via antialiasing, then that pixel comes out dark red (50% red + 50% black = dark red) with 50% (...) (19 years ago, 9-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Jaco van der Molen
     I seem to have unleashed a discussion that I do not understand. All this talk about alphachannels, pixels, OpenGL, etc. That is beyond my reach :-) I guess I'll stick with a white background for now and let you programmers come up with something (...) (19 years ago, 9-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
   (...) Ok, I had a little time over the weekend to spend with the Red book, and I think I may have it now. Hopefully not too late to make it into LDView version 3.0 RC 2. ;^) So to eliminate the halo, what we want to put around the image edges of the (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
     (If you haven't read Don's message, go do that now. It's too long to quote here.) I have a few comments. The first is that it will only fully work if you set the line width to 2 or more. Otherwise, you'll have jaggies around the inside edges of the (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
     (...) And I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the linewidths. :^) I use glPolygonOffset to make sure the lines get drawn over the polygons underneath. (Plus I cheat a bit and add a bit more z to antialiased edge lines so even skinny (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
     (...) Well, as you point out below, I was mostly wrong. However, I suspect it will still produce jaggies on the inside edge of the lines (but I could be wrong). These would almost certainly go away with 2-pixel edge lines. (These things are very (...) (19 years ago, 21-Jun-05, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) Well, it's certainly long past LDView 3.0 RC 2, but I did finally come back to this. After spending a few hours getting nice alpha data into the image file for transparent parts, I realized that the same set of steps would probably work for (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) I forgot to mention, but while the above page looks very similar to the page I posted recently on a lugnet.cad.ray thread, it is different in a very important way. The image on the above page was saved out of LDView at 800x600, which is the (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
   (...) Hey those look nice. Just for kicks I ran off a test with the ancient method of ldglite at 2x scale followed by ImageMagick mogrify 50% to shrink it back and antialias. (URL) I like your edge outer edges better. Very nice. I'll have to look (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) The image on the above page was rendered with antialiased lines, but no FSAA. FSAA would have brought the halo back, since there's no way to have FSAA on part of the scene, but not on other parts. In theory I could render the image twice, once (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Don Heyse
   (...) Wow, those lines are much smoother than anything I remember getting with simple antialiased lines. Was that rendered by ATI or Nvidia, or do they both give you results like that? Does the SMOOTH HINT make a big difference? I think I set it to (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) I don't set the filter hint. It was rendered on an nVidia 7800 GT. My ATI at work does a reasonably good job with the same settings, but it leaves a few small gaps in the edges (around some studs): (URL) (...) Actually, based on this you'd (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

        Re: White noise around model with colored background —Travis Cobbs
   (...) I just tried again here at work with the line filter hint set to NICEST. To be honest, I like it better the other way. To my eye, it's more blurry when set to NICEST: (URL) The difference is best seen by loading both images in separate tabs of (...) (17 years ago, 10-Oct-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX)