 CAD / 12257
Re: Who Uses Original LDraw? (Was: ... Rocket Launch Pattern)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:26:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
One good thing about a reference implementation (which is controlled by the
standards body, which Ldraw 0.27 is NOT since it's not a buildable thing) is
that it can shift arguments about standards a bit.

That said I'm not arguing FOR, just saying "good question". I think I'd rather
try to get by without a reference implementation.

Having an official reference implemention would put us in a better position in
several ways.  For the parts library, we could resolve a number of nagging
issues, like the dithered-colors-have-to-be-subfiled restriction.  For the
rendering language, we'd be able to define new statements, and to more strongly
include our standards in the LDraw definition.  People would have a workbench
from which to try new directions for the language (for example, would commands
for curved objects be a good thing?).  People wanting to find out more about
graphics programming would have a simple code base to learn from.

Can we "get along" without a reference implementation?  Sure.  We've been doing
it all along.  LDRAW.EXE isn't really an RI.  It's been taken as a standard, but
it's restricting us as much as helping us.  We don't control it, can't change
it.

My ideal reference implementation would meet the following criteria:
1. Self-contained.
2. Published source code.
3. Portable.
4. Readable.