 CAD / 12258
Re: Who Uses Original LDraw? (Was: ... Rocket Launch Pattern)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:36:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
I really hoped that the copyright discussion in june, with the aim to separate
the original parts package from 0.27 would be a step forward but it became clear
that there is no will to get rid off the concrete boots ...

You have some valid points here but I want to respond to this one specifically.

The copyright decision has been made.  It was finalized a month and a half ago.
What are we waiting for?  We're are waiting for consent from the Jessiman's to
go forward with our plans.

We're doing everything we can to secure that, behind the scenes, although we
don't yet have it, it's only a communication issue, we're pretty sure. I'd
rather not go into more detail than that for privacy reasons.

Since the copyrights for all of James's work is now
controlled by the Jessiman family, we *have* to get thier permission before do
anything that affects the orginal distribution.

That's a key point. We want author consent and we don't want to act
unilaterally. Once we have the consent on this key piece we will announce the
consent process for the other authors and start the transition to the new
scheme.

As a further note here, we are gradually moving in a direction where we will not
need to get permission from the Jessiman family or Jessiman estate to do things.
Most routine things are already that way and have been for some time.

This is just about the last piece where that's true. We've already accomplished
this from an organizational perspective, we have a functioning democratic
mechanism for the decision making process in that the SteerCo is elected
democratically and carries out the will of the membership.

It is the SteerCo's mission and
promise to get this done and it will get done.  You just have to give us time.

Yes. Please do be patient. The way that progress happens in a volunteer
organization can sometimes be frustrating in that it sometimes comes in fits and
starts. But it's not for lack of desire to get this done. We will deliver on
this, the key promise we made. We'd like to be able to do it before the end of
this calendar year but it may not happen despite our best efforts.

On the question of changes in standards, while the SteerCo members all have
opinions on this specific issue and many (all, I think, last I checked) of us
are in favour, it is not our place to dictate technical standards, nor should it
be as we are concerned with organisational  and governance issues.

Technical and standards issues are properly the function of the LSC. So your
lobbying efforts should be directed there, just as ours are... we can ask but we
cannot and should not mandate. What helps is that we have some overlap in
membership, but there are two distinct decisionmaking bodies with distinct areas
of focus and it's important to remember that. It was a deliberate decision to
set things up this way and one that I continue to think was the right one.

Hope that helps.