 CAD / 10194
Re: Lego Digital Designer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 21:10:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Rodney Hester wrote:
Does anyone know what LEGO's intended market is for this product?  Perhaps
they will consider an 'advanced' version at some point.  Of course, the big
win would be to have interoperability with the CHUNK format parts, where we
could mix and match DAT parts with CHUNK parts in a single model, but I
shudder to even consider the technical difficulty of such a feat.

My understanding is that it doesn't have a target market, it has a target
audience.  Based on posts made here on Lugnet by Jake McKee, I don't believe
they plan to charge money for it (although I could have misinterpreted what he
said, and I'm not sure he ever really stated one way or another; just that it
would always be gotten by download).

According to one of his posts, though, the target audience is kids around the
age of 7 or 8.  Note also that this beta seems to lack many necessary features.
At least on my computer, you can't rotate parts in any direction, which makes it
pretty much impossible to create any useful models.  If you look at their
screenshot, you will see that it was taken with a different version that
contains more functionality.

--Travis Cobbs