 CAD / 10193
Re: 30104 Chain - Generate it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:33:55 GMT

Thanks, guys, but I'm looking to more physical realism in my renderings than a
formulaic (synthesis) approach will deliver.  2 chains will be securing a stack
of logs (made of 9 2x2 round bricks) on a train car.

Not only do the chain ends attach horizontally beneath the car, but as the
chains go, up and over, the chain is under tension at the contact points on the
log, and links must "touch" the logs at key points.

---Will

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
While we are talking about that, would it be possible to create a
program/plugin to generate a chain in a model? Perhaps in LSynt or
as plugin in LDDP?

If I recall,  LSynth already does this.  Correct me if I'm worng, Kevin.

Take a peek at the source:

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lsynth/lsynth/lsynth/

You'll see a few references to CHAINs (especially in band.c), but I don't
think it actually includes this particular type of chain.  Since it's
open source, this might be a reasonable feature for someone else to try
and add to lsynth.

Don

Oh yeah, forgot to add this link to the chain generator spreadsheet.

  http://www.sayce-jones.co.uk/lego/cad/chain/index.htm

If you like the spreadsheet method, there's also a net generator and
a hoser spreadsheet there as well.