 Books / 416
Re: What sort of LEGO-related printed materials do you collect?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:05:31 GMT

In lugnet.books, Allan Bedford wrote:
As part of a project I'm currently working on I have been buying/collecting a
few different printed items related to LEGO.

Some are just things like old Idea books I never had, or were released when I
wasn't actively involved in LEGO. Some are old instructions for sets I don't
own.  I've also picked up a copy of 'The World of LEGO Toys' by Henry Wiencek.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C347542A9

And even this odd little publication:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T227222A9

So I was wondering what sort of printed items other people collect. How about
instructions for sets you don't own?  Are Idea books interesting to anyone else,
even as historical reference to see what the company used to promote for
building ideas? Have you found any other obscure books or printed material that
you think other people might find interesting?  How do these items add to your
enjoyment of LEGO as a hobby?

No right or wrong answers here, I'm just curious what other people think about
this subject.

Best regards,
Allan B.

G'day,

Well...I collect all sorts of Instructions and "FLUBBER" [1]. At present I have
about a dozen folders full of instructions (heading for 1000 or so...I don't
have all the sets myself, but I'm working on it.) including variations (Printer,
LEGO item number, mis-print, etc.) about 6 of catalogues from the 1950's on
[400-ish], many stickers, books, magazines, "set inclusions"[2], postcards,
comics, etc.

At present I'm trying to get all the information about LEGO sets included in the
catalogues I have into an access database so I'll have a list of all the set
names used for each set, instead of just the US ones on LUGNET. (After all, the
US is only one country of many that LEGO services, so why should all the other
countries be stuck with US set names, costs, etc. ?)

Additionally, I'm always happy to trade ideas books, catalogues, instructions,
etc.

[1] This term is used in Aus for any item related to LEGO that does not assist
in the creation of the set enclosed...i.e. catalogues, flyers, C.D.'s, etc.

[2] This relates to the C.D.'s, not catalogues flyers, etc. included in LEGO
sets.

Benjamin Whytcross