 Books / 401
Re: What sort of LEGO-related printed materials do you collect?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:57:35 GMT

In lugnet.books, David Koudys wrote:
In lugnet.books, Allan Bedford wrote:
As part of a project I'm currently working on I have been buying/collecting a
few different printed items related to LEGO.

Some are just things like old Idea books I never had, or were released when I
wasn't actively involved in LEGO. Some are old instructions for sets I don't
own.  I've also picked up a copy of 'The World of LEGO Toys' by Henry Wiencek.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C347542A9

I think "The World of LEGO Toys" is an excellent book--I have a hard covered
edition that's extremely well read--I leave it on my coffee table usually (it's
a 'coffee table' book) and many guest just pick it up and peruse.

I think I got lucky and picked up a near new condition paperback copy for around
$12 U.S. earlier this year.  I see now on Amazon that that same version goes for
around $25. And hardcover versions are down-right pricey!  :)

As well, a long time ago when LEGO Canada was located at the Samsonite factory
in Stratford, Ontario, I was lucky enough to be invited for a plant tour--at the
end, they gave me a few brochures and such, which I kept, as well as something
form the legal department, which discussed LEGO's stringent copyright protection
issues.

Have you thought about scanning any of those and posting them to Brickshelf?

I do realize however, thanks to the internet, that much of the paperwork I have
is redundant--instructions for older sets as well as many of the brochures are
on-line.  Eh, I'll keep 'em anyway.

I think we all should most definitely keep them.  For the very reason that they
are online now.  There's still nothing quite like reading/seeing something on
real paper.  And what I love about getting some old items off eBay or wherever
is the sense of history they bring with them.  A really beat-up Idea Book or a
tattered set of instructions has obviously been used and loved for many years.
I'll take that over a mint-condition copy any day.

Regards,
Allan B.