 Books / 399
Re: What sort of LEGO-related printed materials do you collect?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:46:01 GMT

In lugnet.books, Allan Bedford wrote:
As part of a project I'm currently working on I have been buying/collecting a
few different printed items related to LEGO.

Some are just things like old Idea books I never had, or were released when I
wasn't actively involved in LEGO. Some are old instructions for sets I don't
own.  I've also picked up a copy of 'The World of LEGO Toys' by Henry Wiencek.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C347542A9

And even this odd little publication:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T227222A9

So I was wondering what sort of printed items other people collect. How about
instructions for sets you don't own?  Are Idea books interesting to anyone else,
even as historical reference to see what the company used to promote for
building ideas? Have you found any other obscure books or printed material that
you think other people might find interesting?  How do these items add to your
enjoyment of LEGO as a hobby?

No right or wrong answers here, I'm just curious what other people think about
this subject.

Best regards,
Allan B.

I think "The World of LEGO Toys" is an excellent book--I have a hard covered
edition that's extremely well read--I leave it on my coffee table usually (it's
a 'coffee table' book) and many guest just pick it up and peruse.

As well, a long time ago when LEGO Canada was located at the Samsonite factory
in Stratford, Ontario, I was lucky enough to be invited for a plant tour--at the
end, they gave me a few brochures and such, which I kept, as well as something
form the legal department, which discussed LEGO's stringent copyright protection
issues.

I have turfed multiple copies of yearly brochures as found in sets, but I still
have a few copies from years back to the mid to late '70's.

I usually get people giving me 'LEGO in the newspaper' articles as well--and I
keep those somewhere.

Thanks to Calum, I also have many instruction booklets of sets I don't own,
which is great.  Now, however, I need a better organizing structure 'cause the
box of instructions/other LEGO print media is getting pretty full.  Time to get
a filing cabinet.

I do realize however, thanks to the internet, that much of the paperwork I have
is redundant--instructions for older sets as well as many of the brochures are
on-line.  Eh, I'll keep 'em anyway.

Dave K