 Books / 398
Re: What sort of LEGO-related printed materials do you collect?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:14:06 GMT

In lugnet.books, Eric Strand wrote:
In lugnet.books, Allan Bedford wrote:
As part of a project I'm currently working on I have been buying/collecting
a few different printed items related to LEGO.

Some are just things like old Idea books I never had, or were released when
I wasn't actively involved in LEGO. Some are old instructions for sets I
don't own.  I've also picked up a copy of 'The World of LEGO Toys' by Henry
Wiencek.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C347542A9

I've been waiting to get the 'The World of LEGO Toys' book too.  I hear it is
pretty good.

If you follow the link above you can read my review of it on Amazon.

It is a beautiful book to look at.  Probably more true insight into the company
than was offered by the Ultimate LEGO Book.

The writing is good, but tends to fall on the side of over-praising the product
and its educational aspects. Not that I disagree with those points, it's just
that the author made them a little glossier than I would have liked.

Personally, I collect idea books (the older the better) and anything I can
find from the 1960's and 1950's (catalogs, pamphlets, etc).  I don't collect
instructions to sets that I don't own.  Lately I've become interested in
vintage LEGO advertisements too (but all I have are scans so far)...

Yes, I love the old Idea Books too.  I still have my own #2 book from the
mid-70's.  And now I have a couple others that I never had before.

Great images.  I love some of that old advertising.  The line about, "the toy
they won't be tired of by Dec 26." could just as easily be used for pitching the
product today.

Best regards,
Allan B.