 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 51
  A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Hi all, I present my first modest attempt at translating a Tolkien location into brick. (URL) a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.announce.moc) !!

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) high. You blew them away! Very nicely done. It looks cozy in there. The interior, the tree on top, the fence and the path, all magnifique! Although I pictured Bilbo with the grey old Obi hair, and the Dumbledore head (sans beard). A very, very (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

OH MAN! this is BEAUTIFUL! I found it on brickshelf twenty minutes ago and just couldn't stop looking at it! This is something i really wish i could see in person.. i was thinking about doing something similiar.. but sheesh you really did it well! i (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

"Jon Furman" <Rambocalrissian@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GqnyLp.952@lugnet.com... (...) brick. (...) details and play value. I would personally have framed the door with these pieces however: (URL) the inverted type seems pretty rare in brown. (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

"Jon Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message news:Gqo0IC.F1v@lugnet.com... (...) Of course I guess you could just steal 'em from your tree. :-) -Jon -- | The Galactic Shipyard - (URL) My Lego Creations - (URL) BrickBay Store - (URL) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

"Jon Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message news:Gqo0nv.Fn6@lugnet.com... (...) You know the more I think about it guess building it that way would make kind of a large door for a Hobbit. :-) I'm sure you already thought of this. Heh. -Jon (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Wonderful, as all your creations invariably are. The round-arches have been mentioned elsewhere, but a quick fix would be to just get rid of the slopes at the sides to avoid the diamond shape. Love the little side window and flower bed. Bruce (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) round 1x1's in the walkway and the little peasants' backpacks for flower pots. I like your round door solution. I'm looking forward to more Tolkien settings to go with your characters. Looking at yours, I think that the following would give (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) The only thing modest I found here was your self-evaluation. Indeed, a fine hole you've built! Amy (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) Hey Jon, I love it, It has so much detail. The flower garden under the windows, green door(just to let you know,".., with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle.") :cD, the inside looks so great. I like how you made that bed(i might use (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Awesome Jon. I really like the hill. I'm NOT a fan of landscape that relies heavily on slopes, but I *really* like that hill. And the interior details, and exterior details add a great touch to the MOC. About the door; I believe Heather Patey did a (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) Hey Bruce Do you mean like this? : (URL) Deering (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Thats _REALLY_ great Jon. I love it. Loads of detail, loads of nice touches. If only I had that much green :) was it hard to maintain stability for the walls (or are they solidly solid) fantastic. Thanks for sharing -- James Stacey ---...--- (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

WOW! This is beautiful, Jon! You've done a wonderful job on the green hill and the details like the windows and flowerbeds. It looks very homely and hobbitlike indeed. My only question/contructive criticism is that you might want to make a back to (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Fantastic! I really loved your LotR Minifigs, but now that there is actual scenery for this characters makes it even greater. You did a really fine job creating the look and feel of Bilbo's home. So many details ... awesome! Concerning the round (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Sweet hole, Jon. Excellent landscaping. Love the cobblestone walkway and potted plants. Nice use of the flowerless plant stems for wild grass. Enjoyed the minifigs as well. Excellent recombination of existing minifig parts to achieve your (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Aaron, Thanks for your compliments! I actually did use the old Obi Wan hair, but in the second picture it looks tan. The later picture by the bed has a little better lighting showing the grey hair! I'm still learning how to use a digicam. thanks (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Leonard, Thanks, I'm a fan of your miniatures! I think sometimes size can overwhelm, so smaller and detailed items like your microfig stuff is awesome. I'm hoping to post some of my other Tolkien items a little later. (watch for Helm's Deep in the (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Wow, compliments of Biblical proportion! Thanks a bunch. looking forward to more of the brick testament Jon (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) since human doors are 5 high, a 4 stud diameter door would probably be ideal for Hobbits. Using similar techniques, I just mocked up such a door. Use two 1x6x2 arches, one inverted, with a plate between them. Due to the way a Hobbit hole will (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Speaking of minifigs, where did the 2 blue torsos you used for hobbits come from?? As the others have said, excellent realization of a difficult concept... very nice indeed! Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) In this picture (URL) I recognize the blue torso on the left from the pirates line. The one on the right I believe came from a wild west set. Just checked peeron, here is where the pirate torso comes from (URL). I couldn't find the other one. (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Thank you Magnus. I'd really like to buils a back wall, but I'm all out of green bricks. I'd probably like to make it bigger too. Oh well, Green slopes are hard to come by. I bought a lot of Slave 1 sets just for those. Thanks Jon (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

The walls are very stable, but I did use colors other than green to achieve this. After I did the walls, I panelled the interior in Tan. This blocked off the White left side window, so the that window is only a facade. The green window however is in (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Tim, Thanks for the compliments! I really agonized over that door, I knew that the knob should go in the middle, but I had nothing to use for brass! When it finally came down to it I figured that I wanted to have the door look like it was several (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Thanks for the tip! I'll try using it! Jon (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Thanks Bruce, I think that this will work, I don't know why I didn't consider it while I was building. I appreciate your help. Jon (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

(...) I thought about the brass doorknob in the middle, and I think a round yellow dot covered by a clear yellow dot might work. Bruce (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Hi there The other torso is from the western set #6765 "Gold City Junction". I've tried to create a list of parts/sets needed to recreate Jon Furman's excellent LotR Minifigs. This is what I got so far ... (Feel free to add missing info to this list (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Great model! This looks straight out of Peter Jackson's movie. Thanks for sharing. "Aaron Dalan" <adalan24@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Gqo0AF.E5u@lugnet.com... (...) brick. (...) The (...) Although (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Jon, I can't believe I never commented on this... I have gotten a little behind on posting comments. This is a great MOC. I love the stepped hill, the little stone walkway, the tree on top, the flower planters. A whole bunch of people mentioned how (...) (22 years ago, 6-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: A Hobbit's Hole, Bag End

Oh man! I just got my first look at this and it's Great! I love it! I like every part of it! Talk about a Prime Canidate for the Official Lego My Own Creation Series! It just looks so well done, very well thought out. WOW! Thanks so much! You're a (...) (22 years ago, 9-Feb-02, to lugnet.castle)