 Announcements / 457
  Pixelego Viewer available

Hi all, As a preamble to a much more involved LEGO-like tool that I am working on, I thought I'd going ahead and make the following applet available: Pixelego Viewer (URL) just go to (URL) and follow the links). This applet is freely available for (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-00, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) Rave: Cool!!! That certainly makes pixellization with LEGO bricks a lot more sane and do-able! :) Question: Will it be for solid-colored bricks (or plates) only, or will a user be able to supply a library of scans of LEGO tiles and ask it to (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

No plans for scans/special tiles at this point... just plan bricks and plate. But who knows... Considering the full-application (version 1) should be done in a day or so (?), I'm pretty happy with the progress. A basic version of the application (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

This didn't work for me. The left image was certainly cute but the right image never filled in although the applet was running. Does it take a while? Do I need a newer browser than NS 4.07? Or is it that the **USER** has to be a little pixellated (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

Very cool applet Eric! Very odd too, as I was JUST thinking to myself last night how cool it would be to have a program that would do just this exact thing! (I was thinking along the lines of scanning in a photo of someone and having the program (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) Larry, This *should* work on all Java-enabled browsers back to Netscape 2.0 (it's written in Java 1.0.2). Not sure what the trouble is on your end. I've only tested thus far on: N4.7 and IE5.0 on Win95. eric (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

Thanks, Tony. By week's end (?) I hope to have a downloadable Java (java 1.1.7) application that will do all the partitioning, etc... I thought writing the dither algorithm was gonna be tough, but witha little web-research it turned out to be (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) Same here, though I was inspired by the portraits in "The Ultimate Lego Book". One thing that's interesting about those pictures is that they're done in three colors (white, black, beige) as opposed to using the full brick palette. Also, (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

Mike, The application I expect to release this weekend handles all of these features (grouping like-vertical plates into bricks, you may choose which colors to use, displays/generates a partitioning map for you, etc...) Later versions I hope to (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) It would probably make more sense for the user to run the image through Pixelego, check the results, modify the image to avoid undesired results, and re-Pixelego the image. Some messes could be handled by Pixelego, but some things need to be (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) mine assumes a top-down view and does bump-mapping to make the image look like it has LEGO studs on it. Your result looks very dithered - I assume you are doing something more non-local/intelligent than just area averaging. Steve (24 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

My dithering is based on the "Floyd-Steinberg algorithm"... not averaging. eric (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

Eric, I love it! It produced some great images for me, especially if I limited the colors to blacks, whites, and grays. Does the program have some color functionality that I'm missing? Even the "Party Girl" picture on the main page seems to only (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Pixelego Viewer available

(...) hmm... yes... you're missing something. The 'Party girl' example definitely does take advantage for red bricks (as well as other colors). don't know what it could be. eric (24 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)