 Announcements / 4115
  3D laser scanning

(URL) A simple addition: Focusable line laser + NXT sweeping mechanism + webcam + DAVID Laser scanner software + Sculptris + Meshlab + Stl2Dat + a lot of time = LDraw parts ! (URL) A few more details> on the process I use to create organic shaped (...) (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !!

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) That is nothing short of awesome. You never cease to amaze. If LDraw had a "Thomas Edison" award for most prolific inventor I think you'd win it hands down. (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) I'm with Larry! That's beautiful!! Not only built from (mostly) LEGO, but used to supplement LEGO CAD!! It's a win-win! Thanks! Dave K (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) I have lots of things to say about this but, being a sailor, most of them involve a large about of cuss words. Therefore I'll simple same that this is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. It's right up there with the Tic-Tac-Toe (...) (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Great achievement! I have access to 'the real thing' at work (laser scanner on a measuring arm), and it's exactly the same work flow (except that our end results are not LDRAW parts...). You are a master of useful LEGO robotics! (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Well... wow. This is amazing, Philo. Really amazing. Tim (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) That's so good that I don't even know how good it is! Bravo, Philo! JOHN (14 years ago, 17-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Philippe, You never seize to amaze us. Where do you ever find time to invent this anyway? LOL Looking forward to all those hard parts that have never been done. Jaco (14 years ago, 18-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) I'm speechless. I am without speech. Cheers, Matija (14 years ago, 18-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Same here. Wow! /Tore (14 years ago, 18-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Thanks you, Larry & all! Though a good deal of the credit should go to the authors of the various software pieces used! Philo (14 years ago, 19-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Philo, Wow, this is incredible. Thanks for sharing! Tim (14 years ago, 19-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) This is really cool. How do you go about scanning the "inside" of an object? I think this kind of part creation is going to be needed to keep up with all the new "organic" type parts that Lego are churning out at the moment. My kids have loads (...) (14 years ago, 29-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) That's indeed a problem, getting laser light AND camera view inside a hole with proper angle needed to get depth information is impossible. But often inside holes are more geometric (eg. at the base of Fabuland heads) and can be added by (...) (14 years ago, 30-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Hi all, I'm late to this party - I'm kind of languishing through another LEGO Dark Age.. We recently got a new desktop 3D scanner at my work. I am trying to learn how to use it, so I'd be up for doing some parts. The process of making the (...) (13 years ago, 15-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Hi Darrell, How about some of the hair/accessories from the recent Lego Minifigure series? (URL) like the Cirus Clown's hair or the Caveman's hair would be very hard to model using normal methods. Being a Lego Star Wars fan I'd like to see the (...) (13 years ago, 16-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Classic Trees from the 50's - 70's. (13 years ago, 17-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) OK, I just picked up this magnet set: (URL) think it has the hair you wanted in it.. Is that the helmet you want too? I'll let you know how it goes. Again, I won't have time to do the scaling/trimming/LDU conversion/DAT conversion - I will (...) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Unfortunately, I can only scan what I have in front of me, and I don't own any of those parts. Let me see what I can do with the minifig heads and then I'll post that as proof-of-concept. Then if you're interested maybe we can work something (...) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

WOW!! I am surprised the scanned results are usable /AT ALL/!!!! I'm generally completely skeptical about technology's ability to perform such tasks. I.e. almost 100% of the time a human operator is what is needed to achieve usable results. (...) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

OK, this took a couple of hours of work (remember I'm learning as I go along). It's still a little crude, and there are a few holes in the overhangs,but it's a start! (URL) you guys still use Brickshelf? I hope I remembered how to do that (...) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Here's what it looks like shaded in Rhino, in case you couldn't visualize the surface in the other pics. (2 URLs) (13 years ago, 19-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) I finished the other helmet in the magnet pack yesterday ("Senate Commando"), but I guess that wasn't the one you were looking for.. Has someone already done a DAT file for that? Or for the last figure in the pack, "Ashoka Tano"? If someone's (...) (13 years ago, 20-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Can any of the experienced part authors confirm whether Darrell's files are suitable for making an LDraw part? From the visuals they look pretty good, but I'm no expert on the details needed to convert this type of model into a real part file. (...) (13 years ago, 21-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Hi Reuben & Darell, (...) Yes, they look good. At first sight triangulation has too many triangles for a LDraw file, but it's easy to reduce. (...) I could have a try, but don't expect it so soon... Another problem is that I don't have the real part (...) (13 years ago, 22-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Hi Philo, I've sent you the STL file for the Anakin Skywalker hair piece and the Senate Commando helmet. I’m not really satisfied with how the front of the part looks; if you look at the picture on Peeron there’s a lot more definition in the hair (...) (13 years ago, 22-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) I just had a look at the real parts in that kit, and I guess the answer to my own question is "No". I could scan the helmet piece in the new Clone Trooper pack, but I don't think the results would be what you wanted.. The new parts are much (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Well, here's the Clown hair: (URL) one needed even more triangles to get the surface to look right, which I'm going to assume will be bad for LDraw conversion. If I make the triangle count more reasonable, the surface gets so smooth you might (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

Hi Darrel, (...) Indeed, the face is not really needed here. Your scanner properly creates a file in millimeter units, scaling by 2.5 directly provides LDU. (...) From my experience with laser scanner, some smoothing can't be avoided because the (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Thanks, Philo! In that case, I shall rescan without the head, from more angles, and with finer settings - I was trying (unsuccessfully) to try and limit the polygon count by scanning in lower resolution, but if you're using other software to (...) (13 years ago, 23-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: 3D laser scanning

(...) Yes, better have more resolution at the beginning. In many cases I downsample differently on different sections of parts. Eg. for Dobby's head ((URL) I first reduced polygon count to a high value, then reduced again in all areas except (...) (13 years ago, 24-Mar-11, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)