 CAD / 17649
Re: 3D laser scanning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 05:52:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Reuben Pearse wrote:

Parts like the Cirus Clown's hair or the Caveman's hair would be very hard to
model using normal methods.

Well, here's the Clown hair:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/durbien/LEGO/clownhairshaded.jpg

This one needed even more triangles to get the surface to look right, which I'm
going to assume will be bad for LDraw conversion. If I make the triangle count
more reasonable, the surface gets so smooth you might as well have not scanned
the object at all. This might be another case where modeling with "normal
methods" (i.e. measuring and guessing until it looks right) is preferable to
working off a "real" scan. You could probably get away with something that looks
pretty good even though it's not "exact".

Again, if anyone wants this (or if you have tips on how to get a better scan
with less faces) then just drop me a line and let me know. It's been fun to
experiment, and it's been useful in learning how the scanner works.

Darrell